Dear Family, 2-24-2014
This week has been super, super great, tons of learning going around, but of course, if you're not learning, your not trying. However, what i’m talking about is actually a special conference we had. We had two guys from the mission department in Salt Lake come to our mission to give us some instruction on teaching. Brother Donaldson, who is the mission president in "the district 1" videos, and Brother Gonzales. Basically what’s happening is that we are cutting all the fluff and fat from our teaching and going to start being in the homes of investigators for like 20 minutes, MAYBE 25. Its a lot of fun, and we get to use the pamphlets from President Hinckley that missionaries hand out and what not a lot more. I absolutely LOVE seeing what has been named "the hastening of the work". Another crazy thing that happened was yesterday. I was sitting there leaning against the sink eating a piece of toast during dinner, when all of a sudden I hear a HUGE crash an vibrations against my backside. What the heck? So I peak my head out the window, and there was a car with its face right in the brick wall I was leaning on! ha-ha their brakes went out and they ramped the parking spot barrier, blew through the wooden posts that support the second floor, and crashed into our apartment. Everybody is ok though. Didn't do a thing to the wall.
I learned a little bit about obedience/humility this last week. It started out with us going to a lesson in Burlington, but after teaching, a bunch of other stuff fell through. I suggested a place to go with the member who was with us, which in my mind was a perfect fit. It was almost like inspiration; and my companion said “no we can't do that for such and such reason in the missionary handbook.” In my head I was like, that is the most nit picky reason I have EVER heard in my life! I couldn't even think of anything else other than how pharisaical that sounded. But I didn't say anything. So then as we were driving I thought, man I should really be grateful that I have an obedient companion. So I started to pray for understanding and forgiveness really and at that point what came to my mind was " how can I expect to ask people to keep a commitment, or obey a commandment of God, that to the rest of the world makes no sense and seems more nit picky than actual help.” Like "why in the world would God want me to do that?" If I am not willing to be obedient to what he has given me, commanded me to do? Even if I don't understand, or this seems to me like it would be a lot better, I mean c’mon just look at it.”
Guess what. Sometimes we don't know why, but guess what? You're going to be so glad you stayed your course. "My thoughts are higher than your thoughts, and my ways higher than your ways."
Love Elder Phillips
No comments:
Post a Comment